Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I Love Butter

There is nothing more comforting than a lightly toasted piece of bread smothered in butter. No question, I exceed the half-pat serving size - on just half of the bread. If I can't see it soaking in, there isn't enough. You know that saying 'everything's better with a little butter' - I say 'no, not really' but you better make sure my toast is drowning in it. I know, you're thinking I'm a huge fan of that Paula Dean, actually nope, she kind of nauseates me: A) that hair and B) that voice - gak! 


So, not that I'm a butter connoiseur or anything, but there are different 'specials' for different occasions. After taking a few cooking classes at Home Chef in Palo Alto (remember that place, it rocked!) I learned about Plugra; now that's some butta! It's a splurge, no question, but so worth it. Then, there's Kerrygold, Pure Irish Butter (whatever that means) perhaps reminiscent of a crock you'd find in a Pub in Ireland. Probably not, but it's definitely different. And then, of course, there's the last minute standby, tried and true and pretty darn good if I do say so myself - Land O Lakes - Sweet Cream Salted please.

Kudos to all of you who use the 'alternative butter-like spreads', you probably have great arteries, but even Fabio couldn't get me to believe it was or wasn't butter. And no matter how you whip it, Canola Oil does not taste like butter - geez. I say have your fat and make it real. It's the moderation part I need to work on!

As I'm writing this, I think I've uncovered my obsession with butter. When I was a kid, my mom mostly used margarine (WTF is that stuff anyhow). We only broke out the butter for holidays or really special company. So there must be something about using real butter that makes me feel special, that's kind of warped, but oh well.

So I'll leave you now to enjoy your day (oh and by the way we're hitting a high of 51 brrr!) because I've got a piece of yummy gluten-free, bazillion grain bread toasted that I need to smother!

xoxo, P


No comments: