Saturday, December 6, 2008

Ice Skating, Trees and all things Christmas

We 'skated' through our first country club experience - dinner, tree lighting and ice skating at the Navesink Country Club (http://www.navesinkcc.com/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp). Even the getting ready part was a piece of cake; the boys were excited to wear their flannel-lined cords and sweaters! I was the most difficult one - what do you mean NO JEANS - that's all I wear (you guys know that). Thank goodness I found those wool pants earlier in the week, remember 'fit right off the rack'. Oh happiness. Anyhow, after our pleasantly uneventful dinner, we went ice skating. In case you don't know this, I love to ice skate. It's the closest thing I'll probably ever get to graceful and it reminds me of summer nights at Lake Tahoe and skating at Squaw Valley. (When it was still totally cool and not uppity and the Olympic Rink was on the ground floor complete with the original rings). I couldn't get enough of it - it just made me smile. So, imagine my elation when I got to skate with both of my little guys last night (Thomas and Andrew were too cool for school). They used ice 'walkers' with tennis balls on the leg bottoms, enabling independent shuffling, instead of me holding them and all of us spending time 'on the ice'. They were so fearless - it was awesome. And can I just say that the view, albeit dark, across the river with lights along the waterfront, was breathtaking - and I get to live here!

Got our tree today - bailed on the $29.99's - went to Sickles ('cause they deliver) - it's lovely and will make the house smell so green and Christmassy. I saw the funniest thing there too - a Daddy Burger Swag - WTF is with that name? Just looked like branches and cones - do I pay more for the name?

No comments: