Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's all about being flexible ...

The best laid plans ... usually change. So what you can count on is that life will be a study in flexibility.

Yesterday, I did my first yoga class in years (8 truth be told). It was awesome, humbling, thoughtful and truly a lesson in flexiblity; literally and figuratively. Ninety oppressively heated minutes of complete body focus - I got to the point where I didn't care that my underwear wasn't where it was supposed to be (why was I wearing it anyhow), or that I had sweat dripping down my forearms (too exhausted to reach for the towel) - it was just me and my muscles doin' a dance. I love this stuff, I studied the body for years - it's just strange (sad) how we can misplace our passion while we're doing life. At the end, you get to lay down (ah bliss) and revel in your experience. The instructor, speaking in a soft voice, acknowledges your accomplishment and touches on the emotional component of yoga; I lose it. I can feel the tears eeking out of the corner of my eyes; cleansing, compassion, appreciation - emotion that just flows is so surprising. Today, I'm sore in the strangest places, but it's a heavenly reminder that I'm connected to my body - it feels so, so good.

Cancun has morphed into Key West. Turns out we need passports to get back into the US from Mexico - crapit (can you tell I don't get out much!). Anyhow, no worries (read: being flexible). I found a lovely resort on the beach, no concerns about drinking the water or having to brush up on my spanish. Warmth Without Fleece - Right On!

William lost his first tooth yesterday. What a little big-man, he actually pulled it out on his own, "it came out" - kind of matter-of-factly. He was so proud of himself, but concerned that the Tooth Fairy wouldn't be able to find him all the way in New Jersey. Alexander explained to him that there are Tooth Fairies all around the world "like in China and stuff" and so she'll find you for sure. He has always found foreign coins under his pillow, maybe that's where he got the Around the World Tooth Fairy idea. Anyhow, no exception for William, his Canadian coin has a totally cool bear on it and he couldn't be happier!

Off to do copious loads of laundry and vacuum (did I mention I splurged on a Miele - makes the doing so much more worthwhile).

Hope you all have a great week!

xoxo P

No comments: