Friday, February 27, 2009

Facebook: The Ultimate Procrastinator

So this is what it's come to, I am officially a FBHO, my computer even told me so (see left, if you can't read, click the picture). I sent this screen shot to a friend a while back, whom I thought would appreciate the irony, and I think it's just too funy not to share with you too. Don't get me wrong, I love Facebook. It's kind of like Sesame Street for grown-ups, lots of little quips and pictures, feel goods and funnies! There's nothing better than watching that Friend Count rise to make me feel wanted while I'm marooned here in New Jersey, and I'm still under 100. It's a blast to reconnect with people from my past, and there've been some years in between people! And I am loving the old photos that have been going around lately, some of which are totally embarassing, and others so precious and full of great memories.

But it has taken on a life of its own, for me, and has opened up a black hole of time-suckage (Reality Bites) where an hour floats by and I still haven't gotten my laundry done or finished up a project, but I've perused other people's profiles, including favorite music and books; checked my son's Wall to make sure he's not making off comments that the college admissions office might pick up; tried, in vain, to find an old boyfriend; or thought a little too long about just the right "What are you doing right know" pithy comment. Mine all end up seeming trite anyhow, but I still do it.

So, I'm putting myself on a FB Schedule - 2x/day - once in the am, and once in the pm. No more lolly-gagging around the computer. Keep me honest people, if you see me listed as an "Online Friend" at any other time (just remember, I'm on the EAST COAST) and my green light is on - send me a friendly reminder that there's probably a load of laundry to fold, a dishwasher that needs emptying, or a workout to be had! And hopefully, I won't have withdrawals!

xoxo
P

No comments: