Wednesday, April 15, 2009

There is beauty, still ...

It's no surprise that this has come to me on the heels of a day full of introspection; wondering what I'm missing (about myself, my kids, my relationships). Maybe missing isn't the right word, but not noticing, not feeling. Yesterday was a good day though, listening to my breath (ala Jon Kabat-Zinn), my cough (I'm kinda sick), trying so hard to hear my kids 'separately', really letting what is joyful wash over me. Life is short, I want to pay attention. And even now, I'm getting weepy - what the heck...

I finally listened to the Susan Boyle - YouTube thing, kept putting it off because ... yeah, whatever .... another Simon thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total AI fan - the wanna be singer in me (just ask my sister, I think I'm really good, but I'm not!) But this video clip, oh my god - and if any of you SNOPES this and tell me it's not real - GO AWAY! I want to believe that there are people like this out there, that there are voices unheard that get the chance to shine. This woman, god bless her, is 47, lives with her cats, has never been kissed (so we can assume the rest) and she sings like an angel. I get so emotional when I hear stuff like this (remember Paul?). I also cry when I hear our National Anthem (and Oh Canada because some of my favorite people are Canadian)! You don't want to be near me when the Olympics are on; I'd rather watch medal ceremonies that the actual events. What is it about watching people reach beyond their wildest dreams?

For me, emotions, like the ones that comes flying out of nowhere, are like gifts; moments to notice, reminders of, of ... goodness and beauty. I remember being in Paris, Monet's Water Lilies (which is actually several massive panels surrounding a room) and just sitting there with my eyes brimming, thinking this is so beautiful I can feel it.

So, Rock on Susan Boyle, sing your heart out Baby. Grab yourself a box of Preference, some really good tweezers and maybe a little blush - and keep dreaming!

xoxo,
P

No comments: