Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Mom's Perogative

Yesterday was what my mom calls 'A Singing Day'. I swear I'm the luckiest mom in the world. You may have seen my FB post of last night, "I am so proud of my teenager" - here's why:

1.) He's just totally cool and has the biggest heart, more so than most people I know.
2.) He landed a job at the elite Sickles Market on his own, no strings pulled or calls made. He did it all. Way to go!
3.) Last night, not only did he earn his Varsity Letter for Crew, but he also received the 2009 Leadership Award. (side note, Ali Shroeder is a Rumson-Fair Haven alum who rows for SDSU on a full scholarship).

I have goose bumps again and I'm still beaming. I feel so lucky to watch Andrew show the world who he is and to watch the world acknowledge him. I just want to cry for happy. He was tenaciously persistent and got that job. He worked so hard, led by example, and never complained when he had to erg, run, rig or row. He showed up, worked hard, and his coaches counted on him. Earning this award is one of those life defining moments.

Last night, after I got the Littles settled, Andrew and I sat down to chat about the day. In a nutshell, "Not bad for my first year here, huh mom?" God, he is so amazing, and yes, I am the luckiest mom in the world. And by the way, he turns 18 in exactly 12 days - how did that happen?

Pinch me - what a day!
xoxo, P

No comments: