Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Alone at last ......... ahhhhh

Finalmente! Everyone's back in school. After two long weeks of Monopoly, Blokus, Pokemon Yahtzee, a gazillion hours of cartoons, a bunch of Wii, and a plethora of drugs (not me, them!) -the kids are healthy and it's back to school man. I'm sitting here enjoying my second cup of coffee, blasting The Verve 'Bittersweet Symphony' - smiling 'cause it's snowing again - knowing that I can finally get all my stuff done at warp speed! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids more than anything in this world - but it's tought to be home with them (one, both or all three) for so long and not go a little nuts! So today, I reclaim my space! (Oh cool - Supertramp 'Even in the Quietest Moments' - apropos).

I did sneak out last Friday night. With Andrew as my date, (Thomas was on duty at the infirmary) we attended the Rumson Fair Haven Crew Fundraiser, aptly named 'Frostbite Regatta'. A big group of people I don't know who know we're 'the people from California' required a big deep breath of gumption (read: one speed glass of chardonnay). The Crew community here is friendly, generous and deservedly proud of how far their program has come in a few short years. (Ah, Tom Petty 'Here Comes My Girl'). Apparently, at Andrew's first Erg practice, his coach greeted him with "Please tell me you're a triplet" - they love tall, skinny guys. Anyhow, we got to meet Bobby Ojeda and Dan Beery. Turns out, Ojeda lives in our neighborhood (well a few streets up where the lots are huge), and the nicest guy. Dan Beery didn't pick up an oar until he was 21 and look how that turned out - Olympic Gold! (Paul McCartney 'Maybe I'm Amazed'). Hey, no pressure Andrew!

There's at least an inch of new snow on the ground - it's all twirly and beautiful - snowflakes the size of jumbo marshmallows. 'The snow reminded me of the beauty and mystery of creation, of the essential joy that is life.'—from Snow, by Orhan Pamuk, thanks for sharing that quote MKB. (Sheryl Crow 'I'm Gonna Follow the Sun' - hey, that's cold!)

My BFF in HMB (I can't believe I actually just typed that) is on a mission of cleansing - body, not house. She informed me that she's not doing wine during the week - you go girl friend - I'll be doing wine all week! (Not sure why I find the doing part so funny, but I do).

Anyhoooo - I'm so proud of Kurt Warner, you go old man - except for that last kind of pathetic play - they had a shot and I loved watching it with the big men in the house. We laughed, screamed, cheered and ate 'snacks' (read: crappy carbs). (Rod Stewart 'Forever Young'). And is Bruce not the epitome of cool - hey, I don't endorse that link, it's just that I wanted to make sure I spelled 'epitome' correctly, and GOOGLE, (like: voila) this link came up - interesting list though.

On a similar note, check out my virtual bookshelf on FB in the next few days. I'm adding some "Want to Reads" of historically challenging proportions, thanks for the recommendations AZ. (Colbie Caillet 'Bubbly' & Sarah Bareilles 'Love Song' - two of the coolest female voices today!)

So, hopefully you're all caught up, had a little laugh and a sampling of my quirky music taste. Need to shift into Warp Speed now. (Chris Brown 'Forever').

I'll leave you with - Eric Clapton 'Tears in Heaven' - this one's for my sister, I love you. And one of the best, live in the present songs - John Mayer 'Say'.
xoxo P

1 comment:

word bitch said...

Awwwww... Here Comes My Girl. I will ALWAYS think of driving over the hill with you when I hear that song.